Living in the Liberating Grace of Jesus… Alone!
Five hundred years ago this fall, a movement of rediscovery began which is known historically as the Protestant Reformation. When Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the door of the Wittenberg Castle Church, a liberating power was unleashed as the biblical gospel was restored to the church. This movement set people free from crippling guilt and superstition, by restoring them to the liberty that is ours in Christ… and in him alone! “It was for freedom that Christ set us free” (Gal. 5:1)!
We will be working our way through the famous “solas” (i.e. “alones”) of the Reformation (i.e. Scripture alone, grace alone, faith alone, Christ alone, and to the glory of God alone), considering their relevance for us today. Perhaps no time since the Reformation have these doctrines been more needed. I’m convinced that you and your friends will be quite encouraged to learn what it means to live under the freedom of God’s Word, God’s Grace and God’s Glory… alone!
We are recommending the following resources for further study:
- General Resources:
- The Freedom Movement: 500 Years of Reformation by Michael Reeves
- The Unquenchable Flame: Discovering the Heart of the Reformation by Michael Reeves
- Why the Reformation Still Matters by Michael Reeves and Tim Chester
- Movies and Documentaries:
- Luther (MGM Production)
- Luther: The Life and Legacy of the German Reformer (A Stephen McCaskell Film)
- Martin Luther: The Idea that Changed the World (PBS Documentary)
- More Scholarly Resources:
If you have missed any sermons in this series, you can download the audio from our Sermons Page.
Image Source: Wikimedia